32nd ANNUAL YOUNG ARTIST COMPETITION
SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 2, 2019 (1 TO 4 P.M.)
PASADENA CITY COLLEGE, MUSIC BUILDING
1570 EAST COLORADO BOULEVARD, PASADENA
The winner of the competition will appear as Guest Soloist with the Pasadena Community
Orchestra on Friday, May 10th, 2019 and will receive a $500 cash award from the Orchestra.
PLEASE READ RULES CAREFULLY
1. Age: Contestants must be at least 16 years of age and not more than 25 years of age at the date of this competition.
2. Instrument: Contestant must perform on piano or a standard orchestral instrument. The competition has discontinued allowing vocalists.
3. Composition: Contestant must be ready to perform an entire concerto or solo work with orchestra accompaniment; judges will determine which portions of the work will be performed at the competition. The winner will perform with the orchestra at the May 10, 2019 concert. The music to be performed in the concert is subject to approval of the Music Director of the Pasadena Community Orchestra.
4. Music: All music must be performed from memory; the judges may request any portion of the music and may terminate any audition without prejudice to the performer. If, in the opinion of the judges, no contestant attains an adequate standard of excellence to perform with the Orchestra, the judges shall have the right to recommend that no one be selected.
5. Application Fee: A registration fee of $60 must accompany the completed entry form. Once the application has been accepted, no refund will be made.
6. Time: Each contestant must appear for audition at the scheduled time.
7. Accompanist: Contestants must perform with accompaniment, and must provide their own
accompanist and one copy of the score for the judges.
8. Judges: The judges shall be selected by the Young Artists Audition Committee. Any teacher enteringna student in this Audition will not be eligible to serve as a judge.
9. Decision: The decision of the judges is final and irrevocable. Judging is based on the outstanding performance and suitability to the orchestra. The age of a contestant is not a consideration.
10. Application: Application and registration fee may be done online HERE or the PDF application form may be downloaded HERE, printed and sent to Young Artist Competition, 1020 S.5th St., Montebello, CA 90640.
The closing postmark date for receipt of entries is January 19, 2019. It is the responsibility of the contestant to be sure that the application is submitted on time. Due to limited audition times, only the first twelve applications will be accepted. For additional information call 323-728-6317.
Click HERE to register & pay online for the 2019 Y.A.C.
Prior Young Artist Competition Winners Include:
2018 Max Hammond
2017 Rufus Bordal
2016 Alexander Agate, piano
2015 Aubree Oliverson, violin
2014 Han Bin Yoon, cello
2013 Tianpeng Yu, piano
2012 Nathan Kirchhoff, bassoon
2011 Caitlin Kelley, violin
2010 Marina Chen, violin
2009 Solomon Liang, violin
2008 Kristina Jacinth, piano
2007 Vijay Venkatesh, piano
2006 Jennifer Chang, cello
2005 Alaina Bercilla, flute
2004 Michele Danielle Lee, piano
2003 Grace Cho, piano
2002 Michelle Lee, piano
2001 Shelly Ren, violin
2000 Kamil Musaev, cello
1999 Amy Bowers, trombone
1998 Julia Cser, violin
Frieda Keck Young Artist Award Fund
Frieda was a long-time member of the Pasadena Community Orchestra in the second violin section, and served on the board of directors. She loved children and taught violin in her home for many years. After she passed away in 2007, we were surprised and honored to discover she had left us a very generous monetary gift.
In the spirit of her legacy of supporting young musicians, PCO is pleased to apply her generosity towards sponsorship of our annual Young Artist Competition.
This Project was funded (in part) by a grant from Pasadena Showcase House for the Arts and the City of Pasadena.